AmplifierS2D_Setup (Extractor Component for AmplifierS2D)
Available in ADS
|Filename||Name of P2D file to be generated by extractor||None||s2dfile.s2d|
|Order||Order for Harmonic Balance simulation inside extractor; must be an integer greater than 0||None||10|
|Freq_Start||Start value for sweep of large-signal frequencies; must be a positive real number||GHz||1.0|
|Freq_Stop||Stop value for sweep of large-signal frequencies; must be a positive real number||GHz||2.0|
|Freq_Step †||Interval for linear sweep of large-signal frequencies; must be a positive real number||GHz||0.1|
|Pin_Start||Start value for sweep of large-signal input power; must be a real number||dBm||−10.0|
|Pin_Stop||Stop value for sweep of large-signal input power; must be a real number||dBm||15.0|
|Pin_Step †||Interval for linear sweep of large-signal input power; must be a positive real number||dB||5.0|
|SSFreq_Start ††||Start value for sweep of small-signal frequencies; must be a positive real number if specified|
|SSFreq_Stop ††||Stop value for sweep of small-signal frequencies; must be a positive real number if specified|
|SSFreq_Step † , ††||Interval for linear sweep of small-signal frequencies; must be a positive real number if specified|
|† Only linear sweeps using intervals of Freq_Step, Pin_Step, SSFreq_Step are permitted frequency and power extractions using the AmplifierP2D_extractor. †† Small-signal frequency settings, if left unspecified, will default to large-signal frequency specifications. The default behavior of this component is to enforce SSFreq_Start <= Freq_Start, SSFreq_Stop >= Freq_Stop and SSFreq_Step <= Freq_Step. Violations of this will result in internal correction with warning messages being reported to the simulator log window. Refer to note 4 for information about modifying this default behavior.|
- AmplifierS2D_Setup is a data file extractor component used to create multi-dimensional behavioral profiles of a circuit level amplifier in the S2D GCOMP7 format. The use of this component is highlighted in the design CKT_S2D_extraction.dsn of the example project AmpS2D_prj.
- AmplifierS2D_Setup can be pushed into for a view of the implementation. If necessary, the component can be copied and modified to suit individual needs.
- AmplifierS2D_Setup performs a linear swept input frequency over linear swept input power P2D (Harmonic Balance) simulation of a circuit-level amplifier and generates an S2D file for subsequent use by the data-based system model AmplifierP2D. The Freq_ and Pin_ parameters regulate the large-signal frequency and input power sweeps, respectively. The power sweep is registered in the GCOMP7 format.
- The small-signal frequency sweep can be specified independently of the large- signal frequency sweep using SSFreq_ parameters. When unspecified, these values internally default to large-signal values. When specified in violation of the rule that SSFreq_Start <= Freq_Start, SSFreq_Stop >= Freq_Stop and SSFreq_Step <= Freq_Step , this rule is imposed internally during simulation and warning messages appear in the simulator log window. This ensures the small-signal frequency sweep spans the large-signal frequency sweep and is at least as finely grained. This is the coarsest granularity for reliable modeling using the AmplifierS2D data model.
- In order for AmplifierS2D to produce an accurate model of the circuit-level amplifier characterized via AmplifierS2D_Setup, the Order parameter for AmplifierS2D_Setup must be large enough to prevent aliasing of higher-order frequency components. Because the AmplifierS2D data model reads and operates primarily on its assigned fundamental frequency, and uses this frequency to create odd-order harmonics at the output, it is important to provide an accurate estimate of the fundamental response at the circuit level amplifier output. Therefore, it is important to use a large order of harmonics in AmplifierS2D_Setup to reconstruct the fundamental accurately during data modeling. The recommended value is 5 for mildly non-linear circuits and 11-15 for highly non-linear circuits.
- For information regarding the S2D data format, refer to the S2D Format. Multi-dimensional S2D files may be generated by simply placing a chain of ParamSweep controllers above the AmplifierS2D_Setup instance and assigning the lowest sweep to have SimInstance="Xi.HB1" where " Xi " is the instance name of the S2D extractor and HB1 is the default name of the P2D controller within its subcircuit.