No, an X-Series signal analyzer should never run instrument application software older than what it was originally shipped with*.
There are many reasons why you should not attempt to downgrade your instrument software to an older version than what it originally shipped with. Among them are:
- The current instrument calibration file will NOT work properly with an older software version, rendering your instrument out of calibration and most likely making invalid measurements
- The hardware in your instrument may not be supported by an older software version, possibly causing measurement errors or even instrument lockup
- The supporting software components in your instrument may not be supported by an older software version, causing software related problems
Determining Original Shipping Software Version
There are a couple of possible ways to determine what version of instrument software your instrument originally shipped with*:
(If option 1 does not show the version, as some older versions will not, use option 2)
- Using a USB mouse, select Start and then righ-click on My Computer and select Properties. When the System Properties windows comes up select Support Information. A window as shown in the image below will appear showing xSA version (in this case A.03.08). This is the earliest version of instrument software that should ever be run in this instrument.
- Using a USB mouse, select Windows Explorer on the instrument Desktop and in the window that comes up navigate to C:\Temp. In this folder you will find an installer .exe file for the originally shipped software version for this disk drive. The name of the file will have the software version in it, such as XSA_Installer_A.03.08.exe. This is the earliest version of instrument software that should ever be run in this instrument.
Not all software releases are intended for all X-Series signal analyzers. For complete information on what software releases are compatible with which X-Series signal analyzer please see the X-Series Revision History
*If the instrument disk drive has ever been replaced this will reflect the software version that the replacement drive came installed with, and this will now be the earliest version of software that the instrument should be run with.